Wednesday 23 May 2012

A Queen Arrives.


Queen Mary 2 arrived early yesterday and I was out with my camera in time to catch a shot of her sailing by, looking lovely in the morning haze.  Some thirty minutes later, I looked out to see that Queen Victoria had also arrived, so there were two Queens in port; an event indeed.

The picture shows RMS Queen Mary 2 arriving in the Port of Southampton, Hampshire, at 06:07 on Tuesday 22nd May 2012.

By mid afternoon, the beautifully cool morning had turned into the hottest day of the year and I was beginning to question my resolve to be outside (in full sun) to watch the two Queens leave.  But as soon as I heard their whistles blow, I was out like a shot, clutching my camera and clinging to the shadows.

It takes a while for two big ships to leave, so I decided to apply my photo challenge rules to the proceedings and headed up to my 3rd floor and out on to the balcony, where I found a cool corner to perch and take pictures.  It was glorious; Queen Victoria sailed away, the Hythe Pier Train rattled by, an isle of Wight fast cat sped off, a yacht tacked to and fro, the tide turned, there were tug boats and motor launches, another Isle of Wight fast cat, and finally Queen Mary 2 pulled away and readied herself to leave; and then my time was up.


To see my Twenty Minutes on Southampton Water photos, click on the link. http://susanvale.tumblr.com/post/23600580655/twenty-minutes-on-southampton-water-hampshire-on

To read about my photo challenge, see my blog dated Thursday 26th April 2012.

To find out where RMS Queen Mary 2 is now, click on the bridge web cam link. http://www.cunard.co.uk/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/Bridge-Web-Cam/


To find out where MS Queen Victoria is now, click on the bridge web cam link. http://www.cunard.co.uk/Ships/Queen-Victoria/Bridge-Web-Cam/

No comments:

Post a Comment