Monday 15 August 2011

The New Forest Show: Celery.

I think I've always liked celery, it's an elegant vegetable, has a good colour, beautiful leaves, and a very particular flavour; works well on its own, with cheese, with apple, with walnuts, in a soup, in a stew, braised, roasted, raw, and is a fine ingredient for a sandwich.

I mention it now because of the photo. I went to The New Forest Show a couple of weeks ago and of all the exhibits - the cows, the sheep, the horses, the local arts and crafts, the fruit, the flowers - it was the vegetables I loved most of all. I was captivated by the beauty of four perfect potatoes displayed on a plate, three handsome carrots, tops trimmed, roots intact, cleaned and arranged with military precision, and of course, the two giant heads of celery, standing proud and emblazoned with a bright red first prize rosette - the best in show for me!

1 comment: