Friday 18 November 2011

Lapwings.

Each morning for the past week I've watched flocks of birds gathering and wheeling to and fro over Southampton Water, some headed south, some headed north, most of them too high in the sky to identify. But yesterday I spotted a flock of 50 or so, and as they flew over, half of them peeled off and landed on the shoreline to feed; long enough for me to grab my binoculars and my pocket bird book to discover that they were lapwings. It was a bright, clear, autumn morning, the tide was coming in and the air was still, a perfect day for my first sighting of such beautiful birds. They look black and white from a distance and have a distinctive black wispy head crest - quite unique and very elegant. They were too far away to photograph, so click on the link to take a look at a picture and to find out more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment