Sunday 22 April 2012

Solent Seal.


As I looked out across Southampton Water last Friday morning, I was thrilled to catch sight of a harbour seal.  The water was choppy and it was quite difficult to spot, but when its sleek head popped up through the waves it was unmistakable.  I grabbed my camera and watched for a good half hour, willing it to come closer; each time it disappeared I wondered if it would vanish for good, but my perseverance paid off, nearer it came and I rattled off a few shots before it slipped beneath the surface and was gone.

I've since discovered that the Solent area has a population of 15 to 20 harbour seals, or common seals, and a few of them were tagged in 2009 as part of the Solent Seal Project.  To find out more, click on the link to the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust, below.

For general information about UK seals, click on the Marine Conservation link below.

The picture shows a harbour seal in Southampton Water, off Hythe foreshore, Hampshire, on Friday 20th April 2012 at 11:11.

No comments:

Post a Comment