Friday 23 December 2011

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750).

Inspired by the moment and knowing that this time of year requires an emotional lightness of touch, I've turned to the music of Bach and the Christmas Oratorio BWV 248. I've been listening to the arias and choruses for a few days now and find my spirits lifted and my head full of trumpets - and very beautiful they are too.

I'm listening to an old recording of a fine performance by The Monteverdi Choir and The English Baroque Soloists, conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner. All the tracks are lovely, but there's one in particular that resonates with me and makes me want to listen to it again and again. It's Part One, No 8 Aria, Great Lord and Mighty King, sung by bass Olaf Bar, and I think I like it so much because of the pure joy of those soaring trumpets, the lilting, smiling happiness in the voice; I can feel myself positively levitating when I listen to it. It's just wonderful.

The picture shows the CD cover. Click on the link below to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment