Monday 18 March 2013

Words And Music.


Following on from my previous blog (Baroque Spring), describing the feelings that sweep over me when I'm listening to music; this morning I settled down with a good book and came across these lines:-

"As the grand tones resounded through the church, they seemed, to Tom, to find an echo in the depth of every ancient tomb, no less than in the deep mystery of his own heart.  Great thoughts and hopes came crowding on his mind as the rich music rolled upon the air and yet among them - something more grave and solemn in their purpose, but the same - were all the images of that day, down to its very lightest recollection of childhood.  The feeling that the sounds awakened, in the moment of their existence, seemed to include his whole life and being...."  From Martin Chuzzlewit.

Damn you Charles Dickens, I wish I'd said that!

The picture shows the cover detail from one of the serial editions of The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit (1843) by Charles Dickens.

Click on the link below to read about Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens (1812-1870).

No comments:

Post a Comment