Monday 19 March 2012

Almond Blossom.

Out on a ramble through the village with my camera yesterday afternoon, I was thrilled to see that the trees are beginning to blossom beautifully. The hawthorn has been cautiously flowering for a couple of weeks now, but a few damp, foggy days, and a handful of heavy rain showers seem to have egged it on considerably, encouraged the magnolia to burst its buds and teased open the delicate flowers of the old almond tree in the churchyard. They were all lovely, but if I had to choose, I'd opt for the heartbreakingly beautiful almond blossom, every time.

It was a wonderful walk, the rain clouds had passed, the sun was setting, there was a keen wind in the north east, but the air was sweet, the blackbirds were singing, the tide was coming in, and my heart was full of blossom, almond in particular.

The picture shows the almond blossom in St John's Churchyard, Hythe, Hampshire (see my blog dated Friday 30 September 2011 to read about the almond tree).

Click on the link below to see the magnolia blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment