Tuesday 10 July 2012

P&O Cruises Grand Event - The Out-Takes.


Sifting through my photos from last week's P&O extravaganza (see my previous blog dated Friday 6th July 2012), I stumbled across this shot (see above).  I remember being attracted by the two yachts, especially the one with the big red sails, but I was particularly drawn to the magnificent building across the water and just managed to get one picture with them all in frame.

It was a dull, damp day, and the picture shows it, but I love the way the red sails sing out against the dark green of the trees and the blue-grey water, and that building really looks as though it means business; it looks solid, stately and defiant over there on the shoreline, surrounded by those massive oaks.

Looking at the picture again, I discovered that I'd photographed Netley Castle, near the village of Netley and the ruins of Netley Abbey.  The Castle was built for Henry VIII in the fifteen hundreds as a coastal fort for the defence of Southampton and Portsmouth, and is still in use today.... as privately owned apartments. Ah well....

The picture shows Netley Castle, Netley, Hampshire, and the two yachts on Southampton Water, at 10:11 on Tuesday 3rd July 2012, the day of the P&O Cruises 175th birthday celebrations.

To see more out-takes from my P&O Grand Event, click on the link below.

To read about Netley Castle, click on the link below.

To find about Netley Abbey, click on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment