Tuesday 8 May 2012

Bluebells.


I love scented flowers and I love blue flowers, and a blue scented flower is a winner all round as far as I'm concerned, so you can understand why I love bluebells.  You can keep white bells and I don't much care for the pink, but those bluebells, they're a sensation.  I think it's the powdery blue against the bright green that I find so appealing, the fragile drooping heads, and the promise of that sweet scent.  And I've seen so many this year; there are clumps in the village hedgerows, drifts by the roadside and carpets through the New Forest.

The picture shows a drift of bluebells, close-up, on a village roadside in Hythe, Hampshire, on Sunday 6th May 2012 at 13:58.  I did have a concern that I might be photographing Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica), rather than the native British variety (Hyacinthoides non-scripta), but it seems that the difference is in the pollen colour; creamy-white for the British and blue for the Spanish; and I'm happy to report that my bluebells have the British creamy-white pollen.

To read more about the British bluebell, click on the Natural History Museum Endangered Species link, below.

No comments:

Post a Comment